History

Vernazza’s name derived from the Latin adjective verna meaning “native” and the aptly named indigenous wine, “vernaccia” (“local” or “ours”), helped give birth to the village’s moniker. First records recognizing Vernazza as a fortified town date back to the year 1080. Referred to as an active maritime base of the Obertenghi, a family of Italian nobility, it was a likely point of departure for naval forces in defence of pirates. Over the next two centuries Vernazza was vital in Genova’s conquest of Liguria, providing port, fleet and soldiers. In 1209, the approximately 90 most powerful families of Vernazza pledged their allegiance to the republic of Genova.

The first documented presence of a Church dates back to 1251, with the parish of San Pietro sited in 1267. Reference to the Church of Santa Margherita d’Antiochia of Vernazza occurs in 1318. Some scholars are of the opinion, due to the use of materials and mode of construction, that the actual creation of the Church of Santa Margherita d’Antiochia took place earlier, sometime in the 12th century. The Church of Santa Margherita d’Antiochia was expanded upon and renovated over the course of the 16th and 17th centuries, and thereafter was erected the octoganal bell tower that rises from the apse.

In the 1400s Vernazza focused in its defense against the dreadful and regularly occuring pirate raids, erecting a fortifying wall. In the mid 1600s, like many of the Cinque Terre villages, Vernazza suffered a period of decline that negatively affected wine production, and prolonged the construction of the trail system and harbor ‘molo’ (pier constructed to protect against heavy seas).


In the 1800s, after a long period of stagnation, Vernazza returned to wine production, enlarging and creating new terraced hillsides. The result was a revitalization of Vernazza’s commerce. Also at this time the construction of the Genova-La Spezia rail line began, putting an end to Vernazza’s long suffered isolation. The population of Vernazza increased by 60% as a result. Meanwhile, the construction of La Spezia’s Naval base also proved important to Vernazza in providing employment for many members of the community.

With the arrival of the 20th century Vernazza experienced a wave of emigration as working the land was viewed as dangerous and the culprit of disease, and the ability to further exploit agriculture diminishing.

In 1997, the Cinque Terre was recognized as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and in 1999 the National Park of the Cinque Terre was born. Today the main source of revenue for Vernazza is tourism. However, as a testimony to the strength of centries old tradition fishing, wine and olive oil production still continue to take place.

The renowned Cinque Terre town of Vernazza, visited annually by 2.5 million tourists, was devastated by massive flooding and mudslides on October 25th, 2011. The disaster buried the town under 4 meters /13+ feet of mud and debris, caused over 100 million Euro of damages and cost the lives of three residents. The town had been evacuated and under a state of emergency for months. For more information on the events of October 25, 2011 visit the Vernazza Disaster Fact Sheet.